This page shows all the important dates and deadlines relevant for junior papers (JPs) and senior theses. Details about what is due on each date can be found in the web pages on junior papers and senior theses. All deadlines are at 3:00pm East Coast Time unless otherwise noted.
We try to be accommodating of reasonable requests for extensions, provided they are made at least a few days in advance of the deadline, and provided your requests for extensions in the past have been modest. Always alert your residential college dean when you send us an extension request related to independent work. An extension request related to a JP should go to the chair of the junior committee. An extension request related to your senior thesis should go to the chair of the senior committee. Please bear in mind that turning in independent work late without an extension (or turning it in after the extension has expired) can result in an F that remains on your transcript. Help us help you by being forthcoming with an extension request before the deadline.
Fall term 2019
- September 11: Fall term begins.
- October 1: Senior thesis topic and adviser due; also second reader if adviser is outside Physics.
- October 2 : JP topic and adviser due; also second reader if adviser is outside Physics.
- October 8: Due date for any proposals for alternative grading rubrics on the senior thesis.
- October 11: JP outline due.
- October 15: Senior thesis abstract and outline (one-page) due.
- Week of Nov 5: Seniors individual meetings with committee members to gauge progress.
- November 26: JP draft due; also identify / confirm second reader.
- January 7: JP final version due.
- January 10: Senior thesis draft of content due; also identify / confirm second reader.
Spring term 2020
- February 3: Spring term begins.
- February 21: JP topic and adviser due; also second reader if adviser is outside Physics.
- March 2: JP outline due.
- April 13: JP draft due; also identify / confirm second reader.
- May 4: Senior thesis due.
- May 15: JP final version due.
- May 6-7: Senior thesis final oral presentations.