This page shows all the important dates and deadlines relevant for junior papers (JPs) and senior theses. Details about what is due on each date can be found in the web pages on junior papers and senior theses. All deadlines are at 3:00pm East Coast Time unless otherwise noted.
We try to be accommodating of reasonable requests for extensions, provided they are made at least a few days in advance of the deadline, and provided your requests for extensions in the past have been modest. Always alert your residential college dean when you send us an extension request related to independent work. An extension request related to a JP should go to the chair of the junior committee. An extension request related to your senior thesis should go to the chair of the senior committee. Please bear in mind that turning in independent work late without an extension (or turning it in after the extension has expired) can result in an F that remains on your transcript. Help us help you by being forthcoming with an extension request before the deadline.
Please note, these dates are subject to change.
Fall term 2023
- September 5: Fall term begins.
- October 3: Senior thesis topic and adviser due; also second reader if adviser is outside Physics.
- October 3: JP topic and adviser due; also second reader if adviser is outside Physics.
- October 10: Due date for any proposals for alternative grading rubrics on the senior thesis.
- October 24: JP outline due.
- October 24: Senior thesis abstract and outline (one-page) due.
- Week of November 7: Seniors individual meetings with committee members to gauge progress.
- November 28: JP draft due; also identify / confirm second reader.
- January 16: Senior thesis draft of content due; also identify / confirm second reader.
- January 16: JP final version due.
Spring term 2024
- January 29: Spring term begins.
- February 15: JP topic and adviser due; also second reader if adviser is outside Physics.
- February 27: JP outline due.
- April 9: JP draft due; also identify / confirm second reader.
- April 29: Senior thesis due.
- April 30: JP final version due.
- Week of May 8: Senior thesis final oral presentation.